Monday, October 6, 2008

It's Always Something

As is life isn't interesting enough, we had another adventure last week. On Tuesday, I began to feel sick about midday. By 3pm I was in the emergency room of our local hospital with severe pain in my lower back and abdomen. After a few doses of pain medication, the pain receded but what remained was a fever of about 1o2.

After consultation between the doctor and my oncologist, it was decided that I should stay overnight. That overnight stay was eventually extended and I wasn't released until Friday morning. It turns out that I had food poisoning. I hope to never experience that again. The pain was awful and it really set me back in terms of stamina and energy. Some good things came out of the visit. I now have the ear of two area doctors, an oncologist and an internist. I really liked both of them. I also had a PICC line inserted. This is a 'peripherally inserted central catheter.' I had really been hoping to avoid having this or a port inserted. It is hard to put into words, but I felt like putting something like this in would change the face of the cancer for me. In some ways it has and in other ways it is the best thing I could have done at this time. I can have blood drawn and medicine administered without having a new IV started for each incident. In short, it will give my veins a rest.

My mom and Kaki arrived for a weekend visit on Friday and we had a wonderful time. I have spent the weekend sitting and visiting and am all the better for it. Mom and I leave tomorrow after I have blood drawn, for St. Louis. I have another chemo treatment on Wednesday at 11am and should be home by the end of the day - keep your fingers crossed and send out a prayer. There is always the chance that the oncologist might decide I am not healthy enough for the chemo.

That would make me sad.

Love to all,
Maggie

No comments: