Friday, May 15, 2009

Back on the Wheel

Last night after dinner, Richie and I jumped on the tandem, Charlie got on his bike and we rode downtown. Charlie and Madeline switched places, she finished with ballet, and he on to Tae Kwon Do. We wheeled over to the Percolater for a loose gathering of individuals playing on the working bike sculptures our friend Eric has created for the annual Art Tougeau parade. It was one of the first moments since January that I felt myself bursting with energy.

I am sure the Vitamin C from earlier in the day helped, but the energy and excitement in the air was palpable. It really is Spring and the days I looked forward to way back in January are finally here.

This weekend will be a busy one. Madeline is performing in the end of the year Gala for her dance program with performances tonight, and three times tomorrow. There is a 'paint your car' party complete with the William Tell Overture (performed with car horns) tonight on the roof of the parking garage. Tomorrow is the official parade and after party. Charlie is busy with plans with friends and Saturday night will find us either in bed early or at a friend's housewarming. Sunday is a birthday celebration. The fun never ends.

Life never ends. You can step off the wheel for a while. You can watch it from afar. I prefer to be right in the messy middle of it, my hands and eyes and feet busy participating, but I will listen to my body and stop when I need to, rest and then start again.

On the cancer front, I am feeling strong, addicted to the VitC. I see the oncologist on Monday, will have blood drawn to see if I am ready for chemo (and another CA125.) Then on Thursday I will have the actual chemo. Madeline will go with me on Thursday. This gives us a chance to spend some much need time together. She can get some road time in for her learners permit. She can also see the VitC and chemo infusions and see just how innocuous the procedure is.

A year ago I was 'in remission', waiting for my baby girl to come home from Poland and feeling hopeful. Well, I have active cancer again, my babies are home, but I am more hopeful than ever. Life is good.

Maggie

1 comment:

nat said...

Life is good indeed, and I like to be in the middle of it too. I hope you had a good, messy, busy, productive and satisfying weekend!