Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hernia, schmernia...

When I had the 'second half of my hysterectomy' surgery in December, I had a few complications. I had a not so nice nurse, reactions to medication and multiple infections in my wound. I was sent home with a machine called a 'wound-vac' which was supposed to cut my healing time down tremendously. It did cut the healing time down, but it was a painful and laborious process to change the dressings. This had to be done every other day and was not something I looked forward to. And I later found out that using the wound vac increased my chances of having hernias.

I told my husband that if anyone ever suggested abdominal surgery again, I was not going to do it. Fast forward a few months, I found out I had surgical hernias, two of them. I was not happy with this bit of news, although it was better than cancer. So, the repair of the hernias is imminent, it should be done sometime this summer and I am hoping for a better outcome in terms of complications.

So far I have not had any symptoms from the hernias - other than looking a few months pregnant - until last night. I am pretty sure the back and abdominal pain, nausea and slight constipation I starting experencing are not a good sign. Let's hope we don't have another emergency surgery situation. Those are no fun....

And let's hope the surgeon can get me in sooner rather than later...

No comments: