Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

“Your cancer has progressed.” What ugly, scary words.

My last trip to Dr. Mutch was exactly that – my last trip. A few weeks ago, we made the decision that when the trial drug patupilone stopped working for me, I would transition to KU Med. I have an appointment with Dr. Julia Chapman in early December. She comes highly recommended, not only from Dr. Mutch, but from many in the cancer community.

Let’s take a look at the positive, shall we? I get at least two weeks break from chemo!! While it is a little scary to not have the chemo coursing through my veins and to give the tumors a chance to grow, the patupilone was really dragging me down. The next chemo is likely to do the same, but I am hoping to work with the new oncologist and the doctors at the KU Integrative Medicine Center to help me build my strength back up.

The fatigue and lack of stamina has really been overwhelming. I have been unable to get regular exercise and that in combination with the chemo leaves me without much energy for anything. I may be calling in those offers of help and rides to KC in the future!

So with Thanksgiving a day away and the sun shining, I decided I needed to focus on the positive. What am I thankful for this year? I am thankful for Richie, Madeline and Charlie. I am thankful for my wonderful family – both sides, that continue to prop me up on the good days and make me laugh on the bad days. I am thankful for all my friends who have stood by my side and encouraged me to stay strong.

No comments: