Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The dreaded chemo...

I did not sleep well last night and I am feeling a little blue. The dreaded part of my chemo cycle has arrived.

This morning's forecast called for a warm day, but rain showers and cool weather this evening. I decided to open the windows. I would have been more comfortable with them closed. It was a long, hot day. I seem to be experiencing aching joints. I also am starting in on the diarrhea so I did not try to walk this morning. The combination of diarrhea and achy joints makes me feel a bit under the weather, a little fluish.

The lack of exercise makes me antsy. I just don't feel like I have done much of anything. And the reality is I did not really do anything today. I just have to remember that that is okay.

I saw the oncologist last week. My CA125 was back up to 942. The good news is that it hasn't gone over 1000 and that was the expectation in the beginning of this chemo regimen. I believe that the 642 from last time was probably a mistake. I was reminded that this is another reason that the CA125 test is not necessarily a good single marker for ovarian cancer. The best news from the visit was that my doc believes my tumors have diminished in size.

We discussed future treatment and it is clear that I will go back on the carbo/taxol regimen at some point in the future. He will probably add avastin or another drug to the mix (ugh!), but still believes I can beat this cancer. It feels good to have him in my corner.

So even though I don't feel good today, I hope to feel better in a few days and someday I will be cancer free again. And that makes me feel better.

No comments: