Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Reiki and Peppermint Ice Cream

My usual transition through chemo day one and beyond means I am feeling sick - nauseous, bone-achy, bone-tired, headachy, and not up for much but keeping to myself, in my bed.  In ten (or so) days time I wake up again feeling like my old (and I do mean old) self.  But this round has gone rather well for me and I feel like sharing it.

I did two things differently this time.  I had a reiki treatment right after chemo.  I don't know how it is supposed to work or why it works, but it does.  I walked away feeling really good from the movement of energy.  I had a nuelasta shot later that afternoon, followed by acupuncture and more energy work on Friday.

The other thing I did was to really give myself a wide berth in the food department.  When I don't feel well, I will eat potatoes and corn and not beat myself up too much for going off the diet. This time, I told Richie that I just needed calories and what I really wanted was peppermint ice cream.  And that's what I had on Friday night.  It was devine. I love that stuff. Reminds me of Velvet Freeze and childhood and of true indulgence.

So, I am feeling good, slowly crawling my way out of this latest, longest depression I have been in. I feel strong enough to try for that walk tomorrow. I feel happy enough to join the living again.  Thanks for the meals, the prayers and the good energy coming my way......
Maggie

2 comments:

Mom said...

That sounds like my girl! When you get into that hard place I know it won't be long until you're back. I love you much. Mom

ckennedy said...

That's what I like to hear. The coming out of it part. And you certainly deserve to feel better. Ah, Velvet Freeze. That brings back memories. And congrats for finding things that work to help you feel better. Whatever it takes to get you through. xoxoxo